2009-01-28

Think I need a new career path....

A position came up today on the state website for an office supervisor 10 within a different department but within the same complex which is so close to our home. After becoming a lead worker, I had said that I never wanted to be a supervisor after seeing all the petty dealings that they dealt with.

However, after being stuck in the middle for so long, having absolutely no control over how we do things, but being expected to fix it all when it goes wrong, I’m sick of being a lead worker and wonder if being a supervisor would give me the chance to make a unit the way I would like a unit to be run.

I’m sick of having someone go along behind me and completely undermine things I do, all the while telling me to my face how wonderful of a job I’m doing. I hate doing the weekly report for my supervisor and getting virtually no credit for it, simply because she doesn’t have the writing skills to be able to write the stupid report. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the work, per se. I just don’t like feeling like I can’t make a difference to have things done in a really constructive, productive way, but then having to answer when it’s not so productive.

So, maybe I would like to be a supervisor. Maybe I would like to deal with the petty stuff so that I can deal with it in a way that doesn’t allow it to continue happening. I think negative and petty begets negative and petty. If we can stop it at the source, maybe we can change things around.

However, after just talking to our analyst, maybe not. She’s higher up than me, and it sounds as if the problem goes up the ladder of management. So I guess I should just be a department head. That would solve all my problems ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO FOR IT! THEN MAYBE YOU & CHUCK CAN COME IN TOGETHER! OR LIKE ME, IT IS NICE WHEN DINNER IS READY! ;)

Anonymous said...

You should definitely apply. There is absolutely no reason not to as far as I can tell.

 

The Insider | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates