2007-12-12

There are still good people in this world!

This morning was a hurried mess. Zachary has to be at school, as in the bell rings starting class, at 8:30 am sharp. Therefore, when I awoke at 8:24 am, and everyone in the house was sleeping, I was a bit frazzled. I hate waking up late. I hate being late although it seems I always am. So, I woke up Luke who was asleep at me, ran in and woke up Zachary who was asleep in Luke's bed. I got out the toaster waffles to make for the boys' breakfasts and told Zachary to skip a bath and just get dressed. He then spent 10 minutes on the toilet (taking after his daddy apparently) while Luke stood outside the door asking "what's the matter, brother?" over and over again. I take him in and get him dressed, throw on some clothes for me, put Zachary's snack together and go in to get Elizabeth. She smiled up at me with that huge toothless grin that just said "Good morning Momma! I'm soooo glad to see you!" and I slowed down for half a second to take it in. She always seems to help me do that.

Then I was off running again...getting hats, coats, and gloves together. Backpack packed with Z's new keyboard for show-n-tell and out to the car. Where the door was frozen shut. So I put E's carseat down on the ground, gave her my keys and put my wallet on the top of the van (can you see where this might be going? I did...when I said to myself "Hey, don't forget your wallet is up there" as I'm putting it up there. You see, this isn't the first time I've been hurried or distracted and put my wallet on the roof of the vehicle.)

So, I get everyone in, buckled up, slam the door shut and walk around to the driver's side to get in and get to school. Late. (Notice I didn't say anything about grabbing my wallet from the top of the van. Yea, because that would make sense at that point.)

Drop off Zachary, have to take him in and sign him in since he's late. By 20 minutes. Take Luke to preschool and walk him in then head out to Meijers for some formula and overnights. I'm about 1/4 of the way there when I said "Hey Lisa, where is your wallet?"

Then the freakout occurs. The "I've had virtually no sleep and my life is in that wallet" freakout. I backtrack my entire route. Go into both schools and ask about it. Check my driveway. Check the leaves in front of my house (they never got picked up by the city before the snow fell!). Check my voicemail hoping my neighbor had it or something. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

I had just gotten home and was about to email Chuck when a big red truck pulled into my driveway. Bright red-like Santa's sleigh. And out of the truck comes an older gentleman with graying/white beard and a portly belly. Hmmm, does Santa make house calls to 30-something mothers who are frantic before Christmas?

Apparently so. He was holding my wallet. Completely intact.

More than an hour had gone by since I notice it gone and here was this man holding it out for me. All I could do was tell him Thank you over and over again. I was so relieved. I wish I would have thought to offer him something (but after looking in my wallet to see where I lived, he probably already knew I had nothing to give him monetarily anyways). But I have a sneaking suspicion he wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

It renewed my faith in the fact there are still good people out there. People who will go completely out of their way to help out another person. An angel some might say. Or a hero.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to know there are still kind and good people in the world!!! Good reminder at the Christmas season :-)

Ranni said...

Stories like this renew my faith in goodness, too. So glad you got your wallet back!

Author said...

OMG - that never happens anymore. I am so glad that happened for you.

People used to be shocked when I worked at Subway. Lots of people would leave their credit cards behind, and I would always call the company and tell them were the card was, so when people called to cancel it, there was record of where it is.

Heidi said...

That was such a nice story. I must be PMSing, though, because I got all teary-eyed. I'm glad you got your wallet back!

Anonymous said...

I hate this world because there are no good people in this world! Everywhere I look I see only harm. I always try hard to do good things I always help people, but nobody helps me. Eveybody's just insulting you, betraying you, tount... And what's mainly that they are doing it for nothing!!!

 

The Insider | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates