2007-11-08

Let's End Daylight Savings Time

I HATE it. Anyone with kids' hates it (at least the ones I've talked to).

The last 3 days have been complete hell for Zachary. Lucas isn't seemingly affected, but Elizabeth is having all kinds of sleep issues too. It throws their schedules completely off, which in turn throws mommy and daddy's schedules completely off. Which makes for one momma who is screaming at the top of her lungs in the morning...to no one in particular...just to release the stress. (and yes, it did work).

I'm not in any way exaggerating when I say that Zachary cried off and on for more than 7 hours (then I went to work...it may have been more) Picture it being ON a lot more than off, too. He was so tired, but as soon as he'd fall asleep and I'd try to move he'd wake up again and think he napped for hours. The circles and bags under his eyes were worthy of an old man. I had parent-teacher conferences this morning and Zachary sat in the hallway feeding Elizabeth for me and literally sobbed the whole 20 minutes I was talking to his teacher. You could hear him through the door. Why? I have no idea. Overtired. Change in routine by not having school. Sleep disturbances from the damn DST!!

I went to sleep at 2:15 am or so yesterday (well I guess this morning) and at about 3:30 or so I was awoken by 2 things. 1-Elizabeth crying. 2-Zachary telling me "Momma, Elizabeth is crying". I stumble up and say something incoherently like "I know, I know. I'm getting up" I was in her room and changing her when I started to actually wake up. That's when I wondered why Zachary was awake and telling me that. I go into the living room and he's there...wrapped up in a blanket watching cartoons. Insomnia is a side-effect of the meds but we hadn't noticed it ever before. So now we're wondering how many other nights he's been awake like that.

So, Zachary isn't sleeping well. Elizabeth is not sleeping as well...well, at least not as regularly. She used to be on such a schedule...she'd nap in the morning for 1 1/2 hrs or so and then again in the afternoon. This week? No morning naps. VERY short afternoon naps...until today. When she crashed for like 4 hours. Chuck called me and I asked him to make sure she was alive. (she was.)

I'm hoping that we can get people back on track before too long. Why can't we just leave the damn time settings alone?

Oh and btw, going down memory lane is really fun. But very distracting at work...even long after we've left the lane.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids aren't really bothered by DLS but I know a lot are. I always wondered who made it up and why! We have LOTS of farmers here in NZ who absolutely HATE it because the animals don't cope well with the change and of course getting up early to milk cows is hard enough without making it even earlier for part of the year!

I hope your kids all adjust soon to the new time, and catch up on their sleep. Life is so much harder when you and your kids are tired! ((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

My mother is having hard time to deal with DLS too, but lucky not for me, as I can adjust different hours of sleep .. wondering how long I can handle that in my ages in the future time.
hugs
Amanda

Alexia said...

DLS SUCKS! I don't even get what the point of it is (and yes, people have explained it to me LOL).

BTW, I tagged you to do a meme: http://themommyrambles.blogspot.com/2007/11/random-views-of-me-meme.html

Ranni said...

I'm cetainly off this week. Can't see where it's bothered the kids tho.

Hope the insomnia isn't a long term thing.

Heidi said...

OMG my kids have been like that too! The croup doesn't help, but today was the FIRST day they slept to their normal time in the morning (isn't it amazing how once you become a mom, 7 am is sleeping in? I was getting tired of the 6 am wake up calls!), AND took a decent nap. I'm hoping bedtime goes as well, or that they at least don't crash and melt an hour before their normal bedtime. Here's to better sleeping tonight!

Archive

 

The Insider | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates